COMMUNITY OUTREACH COUNSELOR (1 year contract position)
Salary: $23 – $25/hr.; 2 days per week (Days and hours to be determined)
Please apply in writing to Lisa Lanyon (firstname.lastname@example.org),
Clinical Supervisor by Tuesday, May 28th, 2019 at noon.
|Position: COMMUNITY OUTREACH COUNSELOR (Contract)|
|Reporting to : Clinical Supervisor||Department: Outreach|
|Responsible for: N/A||Responsible to: Executive Director|
Responsible to the Executive Director and supervised by the Willow Place Clinical Supervisor, the Community Outreach Counselor is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating programs designed to provide holistic services for individuals experiencing or using family violence/abuse. The community outreach counselor provides individual and group counseling to non-residential clients within an outreach setting and in collaboration with community stakeholders. The counselor maintains a current and broad network of community-based and public sector services and stays current with best and emerging practices in the field. The counselor provides immediate crisis stabilization services as well as longer term support to assist clients achieve stable housing, economic stability, positive community connections and healthy relationships.
- Undergraduate degree in the Human Services sector (or an equivalent combination of education and experience). Completion of the Applied Counseling Certificate Program may be considered in combination with other education and work experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of family violence, gender-based violence, oppression and its impact on women, men and children.
- Demonstrated experience with the planning, implementation and evaluation of a new program model.
- Ability to incorporate current best practices in the field including harm reduction, strength based client-centered approaches and working with trauma.
- Minimum one year supervised counseling experience, including individual and group counseling.
- Excellent inter-personal communication, written communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent problem solving, decision-making and analytical skills.
- Ability to work remotely with little supervision and under pressure in a stakeholder team environment and balance competing demands for time.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Current Emergency First Aid and CPR Certificate.
- Current Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate.
- Satisfactory Abuse Registry and Criminal Record Check.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completes a structured comprehensive written intake and assessment for each women requesting services.
- Empowers women to make informed choices by providing information, resources and opportunities to understand family and gender-based violence and by supporting them in developing and implementing a client-centered plan. Provides a progressive goal-oriented, holistic and multi-modality process for accomplishing this. Reinforces or expands the problem-solving capacity of the client.
- Ensures each client has an up to date protection plan. The protection plan should include but not be limited to internet safety.
- Facilitates group counseling for outreach clients which may include staff, students and volunteers as co-facilitators.
- Provides information regarding community supports and opportunities. Where necessary acts as a liaison, advocate, and referral agent and in some cases the case manager with outside agencies to provide coordination of services for clients.
- Provides education and information on abuse to outside agencies to improve services to women and children as required
- Maintains a broad and current network of community agencies and services and represents Willow Place in a professional manner.
- Proactively creates a space of unconditional positive regard that allows clients a safe space to focus on their own mental, emotional, physical and spiritual well-being.
- Models healthy relationship behaviors in all interactions in the work environment.
- Competently, respectfully and appropriately deals with aggressive or inappropriate behaviors without personalizing the behavior.
- Develops and maintains the content, process and materials for facilitating two groups as needed.
- In conjunction with the Supervisor(s) and the Director, ensures program goals for each service area are current and measureable.
- Participates in reviewing, revising and developing program components to enhance client service with the Supervisor(s) and the Director.
- Works collaboratively with the stakeholders to ensure that programming meets the needs of the community the stakeholder provides services to.
- Offers input into formal and informal evaluation of programs.
- Provides accurate professional file documentation and statistical entries for all clients on the WISH database. Completes required documentation before the end of each shift.
- Maintains and updates resource materials i.e. pamphlets, resource books, handouts and internet resources as time permits.
- Organizes workload and demonstrates effective time management.
- Maintains appropriate email files and email management.
TEAM RESPONSIBILITIES/STAFF DEVELOPMENT:
- Adheres to the values, guiding principles, policies and procedures of Willow Place and supports the strategic direction of the organization.
- Acts as an ambassador for Willow Place in the community.
- Participates in staff meetings and training offerings.
- Acts as a responsible team member by demonstrating initiative, completing work duties, and by maintaining clear, direct and respectful communication with all people in the work environment.
- Proactively stays current with best and emerging practices in the field. Participates regularly in staff development activities according to a learning and development plan identified through supervision and the on-going performance review process.
- Maintains agency confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Engages in regular supervision with the Willow Place Supervisor(s).
- Represents Willow Place in a professional manner.
- Uses appropriate mechanisms for resolving inter-agency problems.
- Maintains ongoing positive public relations with outside agencies, groups, and individuals.
- Maintains a strictly confidential/professional relationship with clients.